Allegan County United Way and Volunteer Center
REPORTS TO: BOARD OF DIRECTORS, ALLEGAN COUNTY UNITED WAY
SUPERVISES: CAMPAIGN & VOLUNTEER MANAGER, OFFICE MANAGER AND OTHER STAFF
COMPENSATION: $56,000 to $66,000 based on experience.
The Executive Director of Allegan County United Way (ACUW) functions as the Chief Executive Officer of the organization. The Executive Director enunciates the vision of ACUW, serves as the Chief Fund Development leader, implements policies and procedures, leads in development of goals and objectives, and provides general supervision and control of the business, affairs and property of the organization. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors; and is responsible for overseeing that direction and resolutions of the Board of Trustees are carried into effect.
Listed under core competencies are the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations can be made if necessary to perform the function.
Develops, maintains and implements a process by which the ACUW establishes strategic direction, conducts tactical and long-term planning, sets measurable goals, and evaluates the results, including a Comprehensive Fund Development Plan to achieve short-term and long-term objectives related to revenue generation.
Knows, understands and is responsible for advancing the mission and vision of the ACUW, assuring all programs and services are mission-focused.
Provides continual evaluation of programs, processes and procedures.
Champions a fundraising strategy around the identified ACUW community impact areas of Health, Education and Income.
Oversees all financial aspects of the organization including budget and financial policy adherence, reports, audit process, bonding, payroll, tax reporting procedures, grants, and grant expenditures. Compliance with all Federal, State and ACUW regulations, policies and guidelines.
Develops and implements year-round resource development strategies, including a master campaign plan and schedule ensuring goal achievement, proper accountability and accurate reporting.
Develops, implements, and maintains innovative resource development strategies.
Develops, maintains and supports appropriate training programs, materials, and systems for campaign volunteers.
Speaks at all employee, community, and organization meetings when permitted.
Fund Distribution (Planning)
Develops and recommends a plan to allocate available dollars to high impact programs and to evaluate the results of those investments.
Develops, recommends and maintains funding application and distribution process.
Relationship Development with Agencies
Develops appropriate partnerships with community agencies.
Promotes representative citizen partnership in the planning and fund distribution process.
Provides opportunities for agency strategy meetings.
Collaborates with agencies and be a liaison for agencies with the ACUW Board.
Relationship Development with Board and Volunteers
Develops and enhances positive relationships and communications with existing and potential Board members and volunteers.
Develops and supports strategic training and development programs and materials for Board members and volunteers.
Organizes Board of Director meetings.
Relationship Development with Communities
Develops positive partnerships with civic organizations, community foundations, Chamber of Commerce, local governments, local media, and other health/human service organizations.
Drives the delivery of the agency message to the community.
Demonstrates a visible community profile, serving on various community collaboration efforts and boards.
Encourages and develops a process for stakeholder participation in creating a comprehensive strategic plan.
Relationship Development with Donors
Develops and enhance positive relationships and communication, both written and verbal, with existing and potential donors.
Develops and implements fitting recognition practices for individual and group donors.
Marketing and Communications
Develops, implements and maintains annual marketing/branding and communication strategies to promote broad support and understanding of the ACUW.
Oversees the development, implementation, and maintenance of the ACUW newsletter, social networking/website, etc.
Develops or identifies resources to implement year around marketing, branding and communications.
Human Resource Development
Oversees the recruitment, selection and retention of staff.
Supervises, directs and provides growth opportunities for staff based on policies and applicable laws.
Education: Minimum of a Bachelorís degree; Advanced degree preferred.
Experience: Preferred minimum of three to five years in an executive leadership role.
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- A. Proven record of strategic accomplishment that demonstrates vision, creativity, initiative, and flexibility and a demonstrated track record of growth and achievement.
- B. Demonstrated commitment to the philanthropic sector.
- C. Possess a strong working knowledge of the area non-profit sector and provides a strategy for developing that knowledge.
- D. Well-developed leadership abilities with willingness to take risks and solve problems creatively.
- E. Demonstrated skill in project planning, effectively organizing resources and setting and establishing priorities.
- F. Excellent communication skills including ability to write and speak persuasively about the organization to large and small of audiences.
- G. Demonstrated ability in building a comprehensive fund development plan.
- H. Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing.
- I. Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging marketing trends and best practices.
- J. Ability to analyze and summarize data results.
- K. Proficient in the use of technology and software.
- L. Capacity for high level of analytical thinking.
- M. Demonstrated knowledge of cost management.
- N. Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- O. Self-motivation and discipline to regularly set, prioritize and achieve work goals.
- P. Demonstrated knowledge and/or relevant abilities about diversity and diversity-related issues that are important to the success of the organization.
- Q. Capacity to help determine community needs through market research, analytical, and data mining skills.
- R. Demonstrated supervision of professional staff with leadership, management, and administrative skills that motivate and build professional support staff competencies.
- S. Ability to initiate and build relationships.
Physical Requirements This job requires the ability to perform the following essential functions. Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified applicants unable to fulfill one or more of these requirements:
ACUW is an EOE.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Completed ACUW Application (download here)
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for Three Professional References
Email all documents to SearchCommittee@ACUW.org by Saturday, March 9, 2013.†