MyFreeTaxes.com provides a free, safe and easy way to file state, federal taxes
Allegan County United Way would like to announce enhanced security features to MyFreeTaxes designed to further safeguard taxpayer information. MyFreeTaxes is a free, safe and easy way for anyone earning $64,000 or less to file state and federal taxes.
For the past eight years, United Way has partnered with H&R Block to provide free tax filing services for federal and state taxes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Since that time, the partnership has helped more than 750,000 taxpayers claim every deduction and credit they deserve. These tax breaks that lead to refunds provide important opportunities for individuals and families in Allegan County to build their financial stability.
“MyFreeTaxes helps put refund money back in the taxpayers’ pockets so that they can pay bills, cover their costs of living, and put money aside to build a more stable financial future,” said United Way President Patrick Moran.
When it comes to security and protecting client data, H&R Block is among the industry leaders. Its online filing platform contains:
- Encryption technology that helps safeguard sensitive information
- Several layers of authentication for H&R Block account access which further protects from unauthorized access
- Secure connection established between client’s browser and H&R Block servers, encrypting any data that is passed between them to protect the privacy of that data
Eligibility and features
Taxpayers earning less than $64,000 can enter their data through MyFreeTaxes.com, which links to a secure H&R Block website, making it easy to complete their taxes from home, at work or on mobile devices.
The key features of MyFreeTaxes include:
- Free, unlimited, personalized real-time chat and phone support from IRS-certified operators at 1-855-MY-TX-HELP. The helpline, with operators who speak both English and Spanish, operates from January 13 through April 18 from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm EST Monday through Friday and noon to 9:00 pm EST on Saturday
- Refund RevealTM will show filers how and why their refund amount is changing
- MyFreeTaxes is promoted by United Way, and users can contact their local United Way for other local resources, or find ways to volunteer and further support their community
- Advanced functionality for those working in the gig economy or need to include information regarding real estate investments, stock options or inheritance taxes
- MyFreeTaxes comes with the same brand promise as all H&R Block’s products: that consumers are guaranteed a maximum refund, 100 percent accuracy and 100 percent satisfaction. H&R Block’s DIY products are based on 60-plus years of preparing income tax returns.
Free local tax support
For individuals and families in need of tax preparation assistance, Allegan County United Way will host sites with computers and IRS certified volunteers during the next few months. Volunteers request that attendees bring the following items: photo identification, Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for each family member, birth dates for each family member, last year’s federal and state returns (if you have them), bank routing & account numbers to direct deposit refund, childcare expenses (provider name, address & tax ID), W-2s, 1099s, 1098s and other forms of income, 1095-A, B or C, affordable healthcare statements, Health Insurance Exemption Certificate (if received), heat bill, landlord info and property tax bills.
The following locations will offer free tax prep help this season:
All Saturday sites open from 10 am - 2 pm
Christian Neighbors 2/4/17
282 12th St Plainwell, MI
Lee Twp Community Center 2/11/17
921 56th St Pullman, MI
Steeby Elementary 2/18/17
435 E Superior St Wayland, MI
MI Works-Fennville 4/8/17
220 East Main St Fennville, MI
2993 Blue Star Hwy Suite 108 Douglas, MI
Fennville District Library
2/8/17 5-8pm and 3/7/17 10am-1pm
Leighton Township Library
2/16/17 10am-1pm and 3/13/17 5-8pm
Allegan District Library
2/20/17 6-9pm and 3/28/17 10am-1pm
Ransom District Library
2/22/17 10am-1pm and 3/23/17 10am-1pm
Questions? Contact Allegan County United Way by calling 269.673.6545 x13.